- The Indian Premier League (IPL) is one of the most anticipated and prestigious cricket leagues globally, with a massive fan base. The upcoming 16th edition of the IPL promises to be even more thrilling as the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) has introduced several new rules and format changes to the league.
- The IPL 2023 will begin on March 31 with a match between the defending champions Gujarat Titans and Chennai Super Kings at the Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium in Ahmedabad. The tournament will feature ten teams, but the BCCI has made some significant changes to the league’s format.
- For the IPL 2023, the BCCI has restored the home and away arrangement of matches and divided the ten teams into two groups of five. Each team will play 14 league-stage matches, including seven home and seven away games, across 12 venues over 52 days.
Besides the changes to the format, the BCCI has also introduced new rules that will add more excitement to the IPL 2023. Here are some of the significant rule changes:
Decision Review System for Wide and No Balls
Decision Review System for Wide and No Balls Players can now challenge the umpire’s wide and no-ball decisions using the Decision Review System (DRS). This rule was first introduced in the Women’s Premier League (WPL) 2023 and will now be implemented in the IPL 2023. In the WPL opener, Mumbai Indians captain Harmanpreet Kaur used a review to challenge a wide call by the umpire and became the first skipper to avail the benefit.
- Play at the Best Betting Sites in India Today
- Why Ravindra Jadeja’s Records Cannot Be Broken?
- Why Live Betting is Better than Fantasy Sports Like Dream11?
The ‘Impact Player’ Rule
The ‘Impact Player’ Rule The BCCI has added a new ‘Impact Player’ rule that allows teams to replace one of their on-field players with any of the four substitutes at any moment of the match. However, the replaced player will no longer be able to participate further in the match, not even as a substitute fielder. Notably, if a team names four foreign players in their playing eleven, then the impact player can only be an Indian.
These new rules and format changes promise to add more excitement and unpredictability to the IPL 2023. As always, cricket fans worldwide will be eagerly waiting for the league to begin and witness the best cricketers in the world battle it out for the ultimate prize.