Following a very exciting first match of the 2023 Ashes at Edgbaston, England and Australia square up once more in the second match of the series on Wednesday morning at Lord’s. Before this highly anticipated match, we discuss about game preview, Key players and other important factors of the Ashes game between England vs Australia
England vs Australia Match Details
Match: England vs Australia, 2nd Test, The Ashes 2023
Date and Time: Wednesday, June 28 – Sunday, July 2, 3.30 PM IST
Venue: Lord’s, London
TV Broadcasting: Sony Sports Network
Live Streaming: Sony LIV App
The second Ashes Test match between England and Australia is scheduled to take place at Lord’s Cricket Ground in London. Australia currently leads the five-match series 1-0 following a thrilling victory at Edgbaston last week. England chose to bat first, and Joe Root’s exceptional century, showcasing his batting skills known as ‘Bazball,’ helped his team reach a first-innings total of 393/8 before declaring. In response, Australia scored 386 runs, with Usman Khawaja contributing a superb century. Australia’s strong bowling performance resulted in England being dismissed for 273.
With a target of 281 to win, Australia faced a challenging situation with three wickets down heading into the final day. Khawaja once again played a vital role but was eventually dismissed for 65, putting the Australian team in a difficult position. However, captain Pat Cummins stepped up and formed an outstanding partnership for the ninth wicket with Nathan Lyon, ultimately achieving the target with two wickets remaining.
Despite the defeat, England has vowed to maintain their aggressive style of cricket. The focus now shifts to the Home of Cricket, Lord’s, where another thrilling match is anticipated.
England vs Australia Pitch Report
According to the pitch study for the England vs. Australia game at Lord’s, the field will be evenly matched. Given that English skipper Ben Stokes has stated a liking for flat wickets, batsmen might anticipate advantageous conditions. The slop at Lord’s, though, might still allow the seamers to produce some movement from the surface. It’s doubtful that the playing surface will alter significantly over the course of the five-day competition.
England vs Australia Weather Forecast
The first day of the England vs. Australia game in London is expected to be cloudy with temperatures between 17 and 26 degrees Celsius, according to the weather forecast. On the second and fourth days of the Test match, significant rain is expected.
England Predicted Playing 11
Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ben Stokes (c), Josh Tongue, Stuart Broad, Ollie Robinson, Jimmy Anderson
Australia Predicted Playing 11
Usman Khawaja, David Warner, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Scott Boland, Nathan Lyon
Key Players for England:
- .Joe Root – Apart from Alastair Cook, no other England player has scored more Test centuries than Root. He is highly sought after by the Australian bowlers and is a crucial wicket for them.
- Ben Stokes – The captain showcased his skills in the second innings at Edgbaston, scoring 43 runs and taking a wicket in both innings. Concerns about his knee fitness seem to have been proven incorrect ahead of the second Ashes Test.
- Stuart Broad – This tall and aggressive pace bowler made significant contributions in the First Test, taking three wickets in each innings. Notably, he dismissed Marnus Labuschagne for a golden duck in the first innings.
Key Players for Australia:
- Usman Khawaja – The experienced opener delivered impressive performances at Edgbaston, scoring 141 and 65 runs. His Test average has now reached 48.10 from 109 innings, making him a key player to watch out for at Lord’s.
- Pat Cummins – Although he remained wicketless and did not bowl a maiden in England’s first innings, the captain made up for it by taking 4 wickets in the second innings and playing a vital role with the bat to guide his team to victory. He is expected to thrive in the conditions at Lord’s.
- Nathan Lyon – The off-spinner continues to pose challenges for the England team regardless of the venue. His presence at the crease for the winning runs in Edgbaston would have given him great satisfaction, highlighting his impact.
England vs Australia Match Prediction
The Ashes 2023 got off to a thrilling start as Australia held their composure to win by two wickets. On this tour, Australia has won both of its Test matches played in England, and you have to go back five Tests to discover their previous loss in this type of match. When the two teams face off at Lord’s, expect another exciting match.
Expect Australia to replicate their success from the first Test in the second Test and prevail.